Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yes we can!!!!!!


I've realized that there's one thing I've been taking for granted for quite some time, that being TIME. I find myself spending hours on various meetings, ranging from attending community advisory to reducing youth violence meetings you name it, and at the end of the day I feel that the results are pretty much the same. It seems that the only thing that ever gets accomplished in these meetings is the art of talking. I admit that I can't take myself out of the problem, but really its tragic.

I attended most of these meetings believing that it will help in the process of organizing and voicing the needs of the community, not to say that it hasn't done that, but just not in the scale I was hoping it would.

I feel that with the number of meetings held by Somali officials across Mpls, the state of our community should have long been transformed. So where are the results of all this endless meetings after meetings that have been taking place for as long as we've been in America? Well it seems as though that most of these meetings are led by selfish leaders who are only in it for their own self interest. These meetings lack young motivated youth who deeply care about the state of the community, who hold no hidden agendas as most of today's leader do.

It times young people take the lead to be the change they wish to see in their world, starting from their neighborhoods. Its time we all start investing in our neighborhoods, because if we don't you can bet that no one else will.

So we are we waiting for? Let's stop this trend of meetings, and start mobilizing around issues of concern. Let's not be a community of talkers, who can't back their talk. I know that there are far more good people, than those who intend evil, but its a matter of making this year the year we take back our name and show the rest of the state what the Somali Community is made of.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Cedar Riverside Plaza

Cedar Riverside Plaza
"Little Mogdisho"