Thursday, September 24, 2009

Somali Class @ the University of Minnesota..


Tuesday September 8th, 2009 @ approximately 4:40pm history was made at the University of Minnesota. Somali Class was launched to give Somali speaking students an opportunity to brush up on their skills and strengthen it. For people such as myself, I was excited about the chance to enroll in a class at the University level to retain my motherland.

I was born in Somalia, but spent 14 years of my life here in this great state of Minnesota. During this time, I am saddened to announce that my Somali skills have taken a step towards the worse. I'm not proud to admit that I am unable to speak fluently in the language that makes me who I am as a person, and that is one of the stronger reasons that pushed me to sacrifice enrolling in this course that would require for me to attend classes everyday of the week. I saw more benefits, and realized that with strengthening my oral communications in my motherland, I will be able to do more for my own people. It's not the same when you talk to people in Somali compared to when you speak to them in English. People identify more with you when you speak to them in their mother tongue.

I am extremely happy that the University of Minnesota has taken a step towards the right direction, in giving Somali language an opportunity to cater to Somali and non-Somali speakers as all other languages offered here at the U of M. The class is taught by Saciid Salax who is known in the community as a teacher, poet, and playwright, he brings with him many years of experience in the education field, and a desire to teach the Somali language to all those who are interested.

Today I can proudly say that the University of Minnesota is working with the Somali community and has paved the way to retain the existence of our beloved language.

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I am a Minnesota native who will be coming back to MN to work in immigration law. I was wondering if you have a link or any online information about this class!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interesting thing is nowadays somali language is becoming foreign or second language to lots of us which is sad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sidee Tahay?! I heard that the university was going to have an introductory Somali language class. I looked online and your blog here is one of the only things that came up about it... I see this is from several months back so I'm not even sure that you will get my posting. If you do can you please give me information or tell me where I can find info on this class. I know some very basic things in Somali and have been interested in taking a class like this for years. Anything is helpful:). You can email me at mindy_cervantes@yahoo.com

    Mahad Sanid
    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent job Salma...I am glad you are becoming a major source of information regarding the Somali communities's affairs in the Twin Cities.

    ReplyDelete

Cedar Riverside Plaza

Cedar Riverside Plaza
"Little Mogdisho"